It was learnt that the fire, which started around 5pm, destroyed some gadgets and a few documents.
The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Rasaq Fadipe, confirmed the incident. He said apart from a few items that were torched, there was no casualty.
He said, “We got a distress call around 5pm and our men from Onikan Station responded immediately. The fire was caused by an electric spark inside the bank. Some computers and few documents were burnt but there was no casualty.”
One of the bank’s workers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “Journalists! Well, we thank God it (the fire) was minor. At least, you can see everywhere lighted up and calm. But I am not in the position to tell you the cause or the extent of damage.”
Calm had been restored in the area as of 8.30pm when our source left the bank.